The Open Data User Group - Yes it's me!

This week, I attended the first meeting of the Cabinet Office's new Open Data User Group. This is a new body that has been set up to help advise the Government on which datasets to provide in an open form to the general public.

In essence, it will look at which ones can achieve the greatest economic and social value for the most appropriate cost to the body that produces it (mainly the four trading funds that make up the Public Data Group).

I was very lucky to be chosen (from over 75 applicants) to represent big business and bring my take on product management, building the business case and of course the compliance and security issues around data to the table. I join some truly influential people on this Group and I'm delighted to be playing my part.

I'll obviously keep using my blog to share my own personal thoughts on data and product management so it's again worth a quick mention that my views do not represent those of my employer or the ODUG.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to working closely with Heather Savory and the rest of the ODUG to ensure that the Open Data initiative keeps moving forward and that we all get the best value for money possible from the data that our government builds on our behalf (with our tax money).

In terms of the meeting itself, it was a case of getting to know people and understanding what we are there to do. After this I unfortunately had to leave early to attend another meeting (the life of a jet tube setting executive!) but my major take aways  were the excitement of everyone involved, the slightly surreal setting at Hackney House (tents are not good for acoustics in the rain) and the opportunity we have to make a difference.

For more information, check the links above of follow @ODUGUK on Twitter. Also, if you have any suggestions for data that you'd like to see opened up; get in touch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why data is not "the new oil" and why it is actually like water.

What the heck is SCV? Why does it matter?

Data’s Big, but just how Big?