Data is or Data are a Product? Is my grammar good and all that?

Since starting this Blog I've been ribbed constantly by some friends that the title should be 'Data Are a Product' rather than Data is a Product. It goes back to the question on whether Datum is the singular and Data is the plural for what most people generally just call data.

It was therefore nice to see this Wall Street Journal blog that tried to answer the question once and for all. Happilly for me, it seems to say 'who cares?' and just decides to use data for both singluar and plural.

Now I'm a bit of a stickler for grammar (apart from this one example) so I'm obviously relieved that I won't be losing any more sleep over this conundrum.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why data is not "the new oil" and why it is actually like water.

What the heck is SCV? Why does it matter?

Data’s Big, but just how Big?