Eek! New Job Title and Responsibilities!

So after 2 and a bit years as a Product Manager looking after some data products, I got the call to step up and manage a team.

Exciting hey!? Well yes, being promoted is a fantastic thing and comes with obvious benefits for a career.

But as a Product Manager, is this actually a good thing?

Talking to a few people who've been through the same process, I found some contrasting views. Some people missed the day-to-day cut and thrust of managing a set of products, building requirements and dealing with issues. Others found the people management and less reactive approach as a really positive change.


So, after a couple of months in the job; what do I think?

Firstly, being able to help my relatively new team to become the best Product Managers they can be is awesome. We're tackling some great challenges together such as a move from Waterfall to SCRUM development processes, 'first' projects and a load of new releases. We're also finding some hidden gems left behind for us by our predecessors.

Secondly, being able to bring my passion for data to a team and influence our roadmap more strongly is a nice challenge. I need to be my usual, data-crazy self sometimes but balance this with the need to ensure that our software products are the best they can be to deliver that data to our customers.

So what's next?
Well, we've got plenty to do as a team, new people to recruit and various projects, strategic initiatives and changes to lead. It's all go!

All I hope is that I can bring the same to this role as I did in promoting data around my business. The fact I'm still involved in lots of data 'stuff' means that this should be achievable.

Have you moved from Product Management to lead a Product Team? What were your experiences?

Your comments would be great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why data is not "the new oil" and why it is actually like water.

What the heck is SCV? Why does it matter?

Data’s Big, but just how Big?