Open Data - Field Trip time!

As part of my on-going quest to find out everything I can about Open Data, I've decided to dedicate 3 weeks of my annual leave to researching sources of Open Data in the Far East.

I'll be slogging around Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam to locate the best Open transport stats, postal address files and maps that I can to bring back to the UK to build new products with.

Actually, that's partly a lie. I am going to the Far East but I'm actually heading to beaches, temples and bars to find cultural enlightenment and cheap Pad Thai.

So while I'm off, I thought I'd leave you with some interesting links to Open Data sources and stories from around the World.

To start with, some interesting thoughts on why Open Data should be about more than transparency. This article also features detail on how UK Doctors have improved survival rates in heart surgery using Open data over seven years to the point that the UK is now leading Europe. The Doctor heading this up (Sir Bruce Keogh) is now the Medical Director for the NHS. Great work.


Next up, some work from the EU and Brazil to share the results of biodiversity research to benefit all the nations involved. Brazil also hosted the first Open Government Partnership conference to promote the aims of Open Government Data to over 50 member Countries. This group is a significant development in building a truly open infrastructure for the future.

OpenStreetMap continues to grow and improve thanks to the dedication of thousands of crowdsourcing map enthusiasts. In fact, Lucy Chambers of the Open Knowledge Foundation found that the service is now better than Google Maps in areas like Sarajevo. More here from the the Guardian.

France have recently joined the Open party with data.gouv.fr and in the USA (the original home of Open data) there are over 1,300 apps using data.gov as their source.

Simply put, the World of Open Data is growing and I fully expect to see more Countries becoming full members of the OGP in the coming months and years. All we need now is to ensure that they all follow certain standards and make the data avaialble to platforms like SOCRATA to ensure the economic and social benefits can be reaped by all.

That's enough from me for now. I'll let you know if I can find an Open Source list of the best Pad Thai in Bangkok when I get back. If I can't, I may make my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why data is not "the new oil" and why it is actually like water.

What the heck is SCV? Why does it matter?

Data’s Big, but just how Big?